Hello World: How a Finnish startup decided to change the architecture world with 3D printing
Hi, we are Platonics and we are a team of 3D printing enthusiasts, engineers, developers and design geeks with the intention of making 3D printing more accessible to architects without a technical background. We have been developing the first 3D printer for architects for almost 2 years now. Our mission is to make 3D printing easy, efficient and fast for architects.
Our team is made up of:
- Jonas Eklöf, Head of Customer Experience, who started studying Materials Engineering & Mechanical Engineering at Aalto University while working at Aalto’s 3D printing lab, all to build the foundation so he could penetrate into the industry. A natural people person, Jonas makes sure that we understand exactly what our customers need from us.
- Julio Tiusanen, CEO and architecture lover who left the corporate life as he realized it was not for him. Through books on exponential technologies he realized the possibilities that 3D printing has to change the world, and decided to start a company in the industry.
- Cheng Hu, Head of Product Development, an IT & networks engineer who became obsessed with 3D printing in 2013. He studied everything about firmware development, mechanical & electrical engineering just so he could create his own 3D printers. After building some for his own purposes, he realized that he could actually make his passion his job.
- Huiyang Yu, industrial designer who gave up a once in a lifetime job at a top industrial design company in Germany. Instead he bought into our dream of 3D printing and decided for the long shifts and terrible salary, with the dream to design a 3D printer with equal focus on form and function.
- Martin Mingo Suarez, software developer and the unicorn of Platonics with years of experience building software for 3D printing. With a deep understanding of both architectural software and 3D printers, Martin is to thank for our pioneering software.
- Sara Järvi, marketing manager and a design and architecture enthusiast, marketeer and art history student with a mission to let the architecture world know of the possibilities of 3D printing.
- Sophia Auer, an avid traveller and 3D printing enthusiast who contacted us after falling in love with Finland and now runs our administrative duties.
Each of us got drawn into the 3D printing industry in a different way. However, it was thanks to the Finnish startup ecosystem that we got together and started a company while making a business out of our passions. We met at an event called TeamUp, and then went to an early-stage startup accelerator called Summer of Startups, earning many awards and recognitions along the way. Both of these events are organized by Aaltoes, Europe’s largest student entrepreneur organization.